Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Screen Addiction

You would think that after 8 hours of staring at a screen in my office I would go home and find something different to do. But no, I find myself watching TV, checking Facebook, playing Words with Friends and looking for fun stuff on Pinterest.

My husband's addiction is even worse. I tried to get him to turn off the TV last night but he said, "I like to have it on in the background." (He was playing golf on his computer.)

There are good and bad things about these flickering screens in our lives.

Good things:
  • I can keep up with my children who are across the country and friends who are halfway around the world. (I love Skype.)
  • Last week I friended a woman on Facebook who found me by accident on Words with Friends. We may even meet face to face when I go on vacation in May.
  • My daughter has started a writer's group on Facebook and that has inspired me to revive my blog and post something today.
Bad things:
  • Men are the worst offenders at this one: interacting with a smart phone, ipad, computer or TV rather than having face to face conversation. Seriously, look around in a restaurant and you're bound to see people who are out to dinner with their families but staring at their phones.
  • Wasting time.
  • Negative images and talk on any screen.
Do you have a screen addiction? Feel free to share the good, bad and the ugly of how you deal with it.

No comments: