Friday, February 22, 2013

Contrasts in Contentment

Every day on my way to work, I pass Fall Creek Baptist Church. In January the sign in front of their church posed a thought-provoking question, "Are you too content?" It made me ponder two types of contentment. There is a time when it’s good to be content such as Paul writes about in 1 Timothy 6:6, "Now godliness with contentment is great gain." and Philippians 4:11 "...I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content."

Maybe the contrasting question is, "Are you content enough?" To be content with our current circumstances, as far as wealth or position, is beneficial. If we can say, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." we have learned an important lesson in contentment. The "American Dream" has long influenced our society to believe the more we own, the happier we’ll be. Time and experience have proven otherwise. Some of the most miserable people in the world are the rich and famous. No wonder Jesus asked, "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:26). We also see people at the opposite end of the financial spectrum who have adopted an entitlement mindset and believe the government should provide everything we need. Whether we find ourselves with abundance or in need, as followers of Christ we should observe what Paul said "I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Philippians 4:12). This is a worthy example - to trust in God for our needs and to thank Him for His provision. We grow in our faith when we learn to serve and to give in whatever circumstance we find ourselves.

But, back to the question on the church sign... I’m sure it was referring to a different kind of contentment - the kind that bids us rest on our laurels and say, "I used to..." We as Christians need to press on to greater things than our past has afforded us. God’s mercies are new every morning and He is mapping out a fresh course for each of us. Remember Paul’s mission statement in Philippians 3:12-14, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Pressing on through trial and through blessing, we have the opportunity to see God’s kingdom grow in our church, community, nation and world. Are you content? I hope your answer is yes and no.

No comments: